Ad
Category

News

Category

Ahead of the Kogi West senatorial rerun ordered by the Court of Appeal last week, the two actors in the race, Smart Adeyemi and Dino Melaye, have been trading words.

Adeyemi, who is a two-term former senator of Kogi West, said Melaye never won any election in his political career.

The former lawmaker, in an interview with our correspondent, accused the incumbent senator of allegedly manipulating his way into office using political thuggery and rigging.

He said, “This position has been proved right by last week’s decision of the Court of Appeal affirming the decision of the lower court, ordering a rerun of the Kogi West senatorial election.”

Adeyemi stated that no one could deliberately cast his vote for Melaye because the senator did not fit into the category of those that could earn the respect of any Yoruba man who valued morals more than money.

He added, “Besides, the Senate is meant for those who have proved their mettle in other areas before bringing his experience to bear at the Senate. Where has Dino ever worked to gather any experience?”

However, Melaye described Adeyemi as an expired product in Kogi West.

The lawmaker said his predecessor’s eight years in office was a curse rather than blessing to the district.

Melaye, speaking through his media aide, Gideon Ayodele, said, “The judgments in the tribunal and appeal court have not said that Senator Dino Melaye did not defeat him. Senator Dino Melaye defeated Smart in six out of the seven local government areas of Kogi West.”

According to him, the mandate is the people’s and cannot be stolen or taken away.

He added, “If we go to the election again and again, Dino Melaye will still defeat Smart Adeyemi.”

Fatima, daughter of Mamman Daura, has refuted social media claims that her father is arranging a second marriage for President Muhammadu Buhari.

Daura, who is Buhari’s older nephew, is often described as the head of the so-called cabal that takes most decisions under the current administration.

The cabal is said to have asked the president to marry Sadiya Umar Farouq, the minister of humanitarian affairs, to spite Aisha, his wife of 30 years, over constant criticism of the clique.

The rumour was so strong last week with the purveyors picking Friday, October 4, for the wedding ceremony that never was.

In an interview with BBC Hausa Service monitored by TheCable, Fatima said her father and Buhari are monogamists.

“Wallahi, it is a lie. It is all part of what I am saying about the false allegations against our father. He is not even aware of the rumours about the marriage issue because he doesn’t use the social media. They are both monogamous. Both my dad and the president practice monogamy. They are all lies aimed at blackmailing him. They keep falsely accusing him. It does not tally with reason,” she said.

Buhari’s wife has taken pot shots at the cabal in the past, saying those who did not campaign for her husband during the 2015 elections were the ones calling the shots in his government.

Fatima specifically denied the insinuation that her father was teleguiding the president, describing him as a shy person who only minds his business.

Asked if her father was indeed controlling the president, she replied: “I think the question should be directed to her (Aisha). If one would be objective, one would understand that they (Buhari and Daura) grew up together, shared the same friends and did a lot of things together, so if any one is appointed that is close to our dad, that person is also close to the president. They have been together and they do things together. Everyone has his own confidant that he listens to. I think that is the reason for the allegations. They are very close friends. They are also related by blood so there is no way you can separate them.”

She swore that her father is not the one controlling the president.

“Wallahi, it is not like that. You guys are journalists, you can investigate and see how our father is. He is a shy fellow, doesn’t talk a lot and hardly cares about other people’s businesses. Even we as his children, he doesn’t impose things on us,” she told the BBC.

“You know the president can seek his advice but he is not the kind of fellow that will impose or insist on something. He can simply advise and stay away at home minding his business. He hardly speaks, he is 80 years old. When you talk to him about the allegations, he says you should not bother yourselves, that God is clearing his sins by such false accusations. If you are reasonable, you will see that the powers being allotted to our father by his accusers are wrong. It is only God that has such powers. It doesn’t make sense.”

She said she feels sad that her father is being blamed for the goings-on in government.

“Definitely, it is sad to hear your father being wrongly accused. But for the fact that our father is solely dependent on God and we are also like that, it doesn’t bother us much. We see it as the price we have to pay for being loyal to the president, for being there for him and for supporting him. One day, the truth will come out,” she said.

A pastor with a new generation church, the Royal Prince Prophetic Ministry, Chukwuemeka Eze, has been arrested by the Enugu State Police Command for allegedly killing his girlfriend, Miss Ogechukwu Ogbodo.

Eze allegedly killed his girlfriend for refusing to buy a tricycle for him.

Southern City News gathered that the suspect had been in a relationship with the deceased, who hailed from Amagunze in the Nkanu-East Local Government Area of the state for five years.

Ogechukwu, who was residing at the Railway Quarter, was a recharge card sales agent until her death.

She was said to have returned home on July 15, 2019, with over N2m, which she intended to deposit in the bank the next day.

However, the suspect, after discovering that the deceased had gone home with a huge amount of money, paid her a visit and allegedly killed her.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Ebere Amaraizu, confirmed the development and said Eze was arrested by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

Amaraizu stated that the suspect had after killing his girlfriend, ransacked her house and took the money and title documents to the deceased’s landed property.

The PPRO said Eze immediately used the money to procure musical instruments and carried out a total renovation of the church.

He added that the suspect had confessed to the crime.

Eze, according to the police spokesman, killed his girlfriend because she refused to purchase a tricycle for him though she had been buying tricycles for people in the community on hire purchase.

The PPRO added that the suspect was already helping the police in their investigation and would soon be charged.

Security has been beefed up in Kano metropolis ahead of the judgment of the Kano State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal on Wednesday.

NAN reports that the tribunal had on Monday, September 30, set aside Wednesday, October 2, for the judgment on the petition filed by the Peopled Democratic Party and its governorship candidate, Abba Kabir-Yusuf against Governor Abdullahi Ganduje.

PDP and Abba Kabir-Yusuf are challenging the declaration of Dr Abdullahi Ganduje of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the March 23, governorship election in Kano state.

Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria in Kano reports that armed policemen have been deployed to strategic places within Kano and its environs, including the Government House and other public buildings.

Policemen are also manning major streets in the city as early as 6.00 a.m as parts of efforts to check recklessness amongst motorists.

Other security personnel have also been put on red alert at the venue of the tribunal located along the Miller road at Bompai areas of the state capital and all motorists who have no business with the area were turned back.

Human and vehicular movements around the Bompai area was also restricted as only lawyers, journalists, and security personnel were allowed in or out of the place.

(NAN)

US president, Donald Trump reportedly suggested shooting migrants in the legs as they crossed the US-Mexico border.

The president is said to have pushed for the illegal action during a private meeting with his aides, reports UK’s Independent.

He also suggested creating a border moat filled with snakes or alligators, on numerous occasions, according to the Times, which excerpted the upcoming book Border Wars: Inside Trump’s Assault on Immigration.

Mr Trump reportedly hoped the moat would accompany his border wall.

The president also wanted the wall electrified and to have spikes at the top.

The idea, like the others, was abandoned after his staff told him it was illegal.

As Nigeria celebrates 59th Independence Day anniversary, an indigenous company has said that it is intensifying efforts to begin assembling solar-powered cars by 2020.

Mr Moses Onaja, Chief Executive Officer, Sun Energy Community Development Initiative, made the disclosure on Tuesday during an exhibition of solar products in Ibadan.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the exhibition was aimed at inspiring Nigerians to have access to renewable and clean energy which is environmentally friendly.

“We want to promote the use of renewable energy products in Nigeria to promote a clean and healthy environment.

“What we want to do now is to start assembling solar cars in Nigeria. Let it not just be in China.

“By the special grace of God, we want to see how we can work with the government to ensure that. We are hoping that in 2020 we should have the assembly point here,” he said.

(NAN)

The Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Mele Kyari, on Tuesday, said significant progress had been made in the ongoing exploration of inland basins and that the target of growing the nation’s reserve to 40 billion barrels by 2023 was realistic and achievable.

Kyari made this submission when he received the leadership of the Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationist at the NNPC towers in Abuja.

This came as the oil firm also clarified issues surrounding the redeployment of 12 management staff of its subsidiary, Nigerian Petroleum Development Company.

A statement issued by the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Ndu Ughamadu, stated that the corporation was revving up exploration activities in all the frontier basins to achieve the three million barrels per day crude oil production target within the shortest possible time.

Kyari said the national oil company would invest more efforts and resources in the search for hydrocarbons in the frontier basins and the ultra-deep water basin in the Niger Delta in order to grow the nation’s reserve base.

The GMD said, “We promise that we are going to be transparent and accountable to all our stakeholders. We will drive this company to become a company of global excellence through excellent performance. This is very possible and there are strong indications that this is achievable.”

He stated that the corporation would galvanise its partners in the direction of attaining national goals and aspirations for the economic wellbeing of the nation and its citizens.

Kyari assured his guests that the corporation, with the collaboration of other arms of the Federal Government, would create a favourable fiscal landscape that would encourage inflow of foreign direct investment into the nation’s oil and gas industry.

On the commercial level, he said NNPC would continue to meet its cash-call obligations to its joint venture partners on a sustainable basis to enable the international oil companies go back to exploration.

He called for the support of NAPE to enable the nation attain the three million barrels per day and the 40 billion reserve aspiration going forward.

The President of NAPE, Ajibola Oyebamiji, assured Kyari of the association’s support in growing the nation’s reserve base.

On changes at NPDC, the corporation stated that the redeployments of 12 management staff of its flagship upstream subsidiary was aimed at repositioning the company to meet its production and reserve targets.

NNPC Chief Operating Officer, Upstream, Rowland Ewubare, said the re-organisation became imperative following the urgent need of the current management to grow the NPDC into a big time exploration and production player in Nigeria.

The Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, has expressed dissatisfaction over the performance of electricity distribution companies in the country, saying there is a need for a substantial change of strategy in order to meet the electricity needs of homes and businesses.

Osibanjo spoke on Thursday at the inauguration of a 2x60MVA, 132/33kV substation and associated 132kV transmission lines at Abeokuta, Ogun State.

He lamented the inability of the Discos to distribute available grid power to consumers.

“The distribution capacity in the 11 Discos are significantly low, hovering at around 4,000 megawatts on average with a peak at about 5,400MW. So, despite all the availability of about 8,000MW of generation and 7,000MW of transmission capacity, the lack of Disco infrastructure to absorb and deliver grid power to end-users has largely restricted generation to an average of about 4,000MW, and sometimes even falling below 4,000MW,” the Vice-President said.

The distribution and generation companies carved out of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria were handed over to private investors on November 1, 2013, following the privatisation of the power sector by the President Goodluck Jonathan administration.

Osinbajo said, “It is evident that despite all the efforts that has been put into trying to expand the grid…the structure of the market today cannot deliver on the government’s promises to provide power for domestic and industrial use.

“A substantial change of strategy is necessary. There is clearly a need for a change of strategy. What we have done in the past has taken us to a point where there is clearly a change of strategy.”

As part of measures to curb insecurity in the state, the Ondo State Government has banned the activities of commercial motorcyclists popularly known as ‘Okadas‘, from the state’s section of the Benin-Ore-Shagamu Expressway.

The government said it took the decision following its observation that some unscrupulous elements were hiding under the guise of engaging in motorcycle business to perpetrate crimes on the expressway.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Ondo State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Donald Ojogo, on Thursday.

According to the statement, the government was disturbed by the activities of the criminal elements which include armed robbery and kidnapping.

Ojogo said, “The Ondo State Government has placed a total ban on commercial motorcycles along the entire stretch of the route in question. This action is with immediate effect and shall suffice until further notice.

“By this development, all activities of commercial motorcyclists are henceforth, restricted to internal confines of Ore town (in Odigbo Local Government Area of the state) and other communities in the area.

“To this end, the government had directed all the security agencies in the state, especially the Nigeria Police, to apprehend anyone who flouted the restriction order.

“The government appeals to the general public to co-operate with the security agencies in the state in the enforcement of this action in order to stem the growing rate of criminal activities along the area,” the government urged.